Clip sorting/management window?

Hi Seb,

Will there be a way to manage clips in more of a folder/categorized fashion in future versions of liberation?

I think it would contribute greatly to managing your clip deck if there would be a menu/window where you can categorize and name folders/groups of clips, in order to efficiently fill the clip deck for specific gigs and just organization in general.

For instance having different folders for dots, sheets, complex shapes, projection shapes in a database, and being able to drag them into your clip deck. In the current setup it feels like the clip deck is ‘storage’ and ‘live’ combined into one view. for live its perfect, but for management it feels like there could be a better and more efficient way.

I understand I can create a huge project with all kinds of clips and manage/export from there, but you lose a lot of screen real estate because all the other liberation functionality is there, without needing it while sorting/managing/naming/categorizing clips.

I hope you understand what I mean and I’m curious to hear what your view is on this :slight_smile:

A Resolume-style interface would be great: one monitor for the main output and another for clip preview. A sidebar could be dedicated to effects, zone dalay / chase, and similar controls, while another panel could display clips organized by name or category

Would love to see this!

Ive been wanting to request this for a while, I held off on doing so as I am still new to the software and wanted to see how I got on with the existing workflow and organisation systems. I understand this would be a fundamental change to the way Liberation workflow is managed but I believe it would be a useful way of organising and storing clips.

As Mathijs suggested, a “clip library” containing folders would hugely aid in organisation and speed up the process of creating a live busking page. This would also allow a busking page to be tailored to specific scenarios much more easily. I believe this would also benefit those who primarily create timeline shows as this allows for clips to be grouped per song/project without occupying a page of the clip deck for each song or project. (This is how I have found myself storing clips for timeline shows at least)

Another benefit of the “clip library” approach would be the ability to import “clip packs”. This allows users to sort and select clips they wish to use in their own clip deck without the need to append the entire pack to the end of their own (likely already massive) clip deck.

Having come from using ChamSys this is similar to their cue and playback system (a cue being equivalent to the clip itself and a playback slot being equivalent of the space a clip occupies in the clip deck). Being used to this system I am biased hence my reluctance to suggest this myself. I do however believe this would be a useful system for managing content within Liberation :slight_smile:

TL;DR -
I would very much like to see something like this implemented but understand its a fundamental change to the existing workflow

To me the timeline is an almost perfect content manager. Easiest way to start sorting, is make a timeline named to what ever category you’re making, hit the record button, and play the clips so they go into the timeline. When complete, export that timeline so it is backed up. start a new project, and then selectively import your lists back. They are a filter akin to dj music playlists. Make “playlists” of clips by type and title. Export them once to a “Timeline clips playlist” folders that you’ve created and named.

If you need a one and done clip deck will all of your clips, Id suggest using LEGACY midi and use the 14 available channels as a category filter. Ch 1 Dots CH 2 Lines, etc. Note C-2 is the start of each grouping. You’ll be limited to 14 categories but if you are using a midi device, ideally a piano so you can switch channels quickly and go to any category quickly.

Personally, Im convinced clip hoarding clips isn’t a great practice. Im not sure how everyone charges their clients, but programming is part of what I charge, and is built to order. Keeping you complex clips/ designs on hand is one thing, but lets be real, under normal circumstances I could build a nights worth of dance floor content in 3 hrs. In conjunction with effects, 8 hrs worth.

Check out my old post, the last one…I think its still somewhat relevant,

I would also find this super helpful. Currently my clip deck has over 1200 clips and it is a mess!

Hi everyone! Thanks for the feedback, I agree that there should be some better clip organising tools.

But may I direct you to this user guide entry that offers some workarounds in the meantime.

And you can always use (abuse) the timeline as a way to auto group / save / load clips, (as @Eyes2theSkies mentioned)

Please try to be disciplined with your clip decks! Liberation performance may suffer if your clip deck grows out of control!

Seb