Recovering overwritten project state

Every program I use on a daily basis (Ableton, Lightkey, Sheets etc) auto saves to the file you have created, or you can manually do a save by pressing command + S (Mac).

I just loaded a new project in to Liberation then tried to reopen the one I was working on before and around a weeks worth of work (timelines, clips etc) seems to have disappeared). I am assuming this is due to me not having exported my original project file first? I just assumed it would auto save everything on to the current project like the other programs I use.

Is there any way of getting back to the where the original project was before I opened the new one? It says on the user guide -
‘Liberation constantly saves its state to disk so you can be sure that if you have a power outage or system issue, it will start up right where it left off, you shouldn’t ever lose your zones, timeline or other content.’
But where does it store this and how can I retrieve this?

Thanks!

Hi Mike,

I’m really sorry - I know how upsetting it is to think you may have lost a week’s work.

Liberation continually saves its current working state, somewhat like Final Cut Pro and other applications that don’t require you to press Command-S. If Liberation crashes, loses power or is restarted, it should reopen exactly where it left off.

However, this only preserves the current state - it doesn’t automatically create or update separate project files, or retain a history of previously loaded projects. To keep and switch between different projects, you need to export the current project and import it again later. Importing another project replaces Liberation’s current state, which is why it displays a confirmation warning before proceeding.

There are two possible ways you may be able to recover the previous state:

  1. If you still have an older version of Liberation installed, open it without importing anything into it. Each version keeps its own saved state, so it may still contain your previous project. If it does, immediately export the project, then open your current version and import the exported file.
  2. If you use Time Machine or another versioned backup system, it may contain an earlier copy of Liberation’s saved state from before you imported the new project. Let me know which backup system you use and I can help you locate the relevant folder.

If neither an older Liberation version nor a computer backup contains the previous state, unfortunately there isn’t a project history within Liberation from which it can be restored.

I hope one of those recovery options works for you.

Seb