Low frame rate flickering with VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) monitor

Liberation purposely drops to 30 fps to save your CPU

ah this is what makes my screen blink,

could you please add a option to turn this to 60 or off? my monitors refresh rate is locked to the program fps, thus 30fps makes it visibly blink a bit (im am quite sensitive to this)

i am running on a 3900x with 3080 10G and a Alienware OLED screen with variable refresh rate and HDR10

Hi @mrfloppy88!

Huh, weird. Liberation specifically doesn’t set vertical sync, so the framerate should be completely independent of your monitor’s refresh rate. But I’ve heard that OLED + VRR systems can sometimes look at fullscreen apps and try to “join in” (lol) – which is possibly why you’re seeing the flicker at 30 fps?

I think it’s possible to disable this behaviour just for Liberation. Google tells me that on Windows you can do it through your GPU control panel:

  • NVIDIA – open NVIDIA Control Panel → Manage 3D settings → Program Settings → add Liberation → set Monitor Technology to “Fixed Refresh.”
  • AMD – open Radeon Software → Graphics → choose Liberation from the per-app list → turn off FreeSync.

That way VRR won’t kick in for Liberation, but it’ll stay enabled for everything else.

Let me know if that works for you! And if not I’ll see what options I can add at my end.

cheers!
Seb

yeah setting the nvidia driver to not use VRR did fix the blinking, thanks!