Liberation is free to download and use!

Hi everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to say a few words about the recent launch announcement that Liberation is now free to download and use, and you only pay when you want to output to lasers. In other words, you no longer have to have had a paid subscription to access Liberation in “free” mode.

I’ve mentioned it here before so hopefully this isn’t too much of a surprise, but either way I wanted to talk to you directly here, because this forum has always been the heart of the community.

First and most importantly: nothing changes for you.

Your licences, your workflows, the way the software behaves, and the way I support the community all remain exactly the same.

What will change is that we will likely see a lot more new people discovering Liberation and joining the forum over the coming weeks and months. That is exciting, and it is also something I want to handle carefully and thoughtfully.

In time, I will be setting up separate areas and groups for things like priority support, so that paying users relying on Liberation day-to-day always get the help they need quickly and clearly. That will be done in a way that keeps things fair and sustainable, without fragmenting the community.

In the meantime, I would love it if we could continue doing what this forum already does better than anywhere else: being welcoming, patient, and generous with knowledge.

I am genuinely proud that this has become the kindest laser community on the internet. That did not happen by accident, it happened because of the people here, and I would love that spirit to be the first thing newcomers experience when they arrive.

Thank you all for being part of this journey, for supporting Liberation in its many forms, and for helping make this such a good place to hang out and learn.

Seb

7 Likes

I remember when I learned about Helios and Etherdreams years ago thinking “ gosh, if only someone could make great live control / beam oriented software that uses this hardware”. Well here we are. You answered my “wish”. Me and the next 100,000 laserists whole-heartedly Congratulate and Thank You for this.

3 Likes

it’s literally the reason I finally dumped a couple grand on lasers. been a dream to get into lasers since I was 12, but the software always looked absolutely terrible and that’s not even touching on the outrageous upfront cost. Friend sent me a link to Liberation last year and bought a pair of Opt lasers a week later!

3 Likes

I tried liberation and really liked it last year; however learning the software and making shows on it to try it out ended up being mega expensive which is why I stopped using it. This is a great news because now I’ll be able to actually get used to the software further before comitting. Thanks Seb!