Hi all - looking for some advice on best practices for programming chases.
I am involved in a tour that is doing a 360 stage, and I am wondering what is going to be the best way to create chases that are moving around the stage trusing in a 360 format. Or if there is any good way in Liberation to assign a chase/overlay to my clips (i.e I press a button and now all clips triggered are using a specific chase). Open to other ideas just trying to get some more movement in my shows between lasers. Thanks!
Turning your chases into flash clips ? Made them at least 4 -8 beats in length? Turn off retrigger?
Make a single clip have an A/B section and then chase that? Maxed out your zone delay? Maxed out your delay time in the zone section ( roll it back to a sweet spot?) ?
Trigger two + clips at once with different settings?
Rather than making a one and done chase clip, make an effect (brightness for example) for use globally with a custom oscillator flashing rhythmically-correct to your style of music and chase that. Try this with a cutter. Combine both effects and see what comes of it.
Bring a midi controller into the mix and do some macro triggering of multiple chases. Use a step sequencer to introduce bounce chases, random chases.
Play midi notes live and chase that. Don’t have gear to test this rn, but I’m envisioning cool results.
G.
Adds- have you tried making some alt zones to toggle between? Added multiple beam zones to a single laser? Rather than use beam zones, switch to canvas zones and use a single large scale clip ?
“Rather than making a one and done chase clip, make an effect (brightness for example) for use globally with a custom oscillator flashing rhythmically-correct to your style of music and chase that. Try this with a cutter. Combine both effects and see what comes of it.”
This is brilliant. Because I really just want it to be an effect I can throw it on. How do I go about making an effect with custom oscillator? I had no idea I could make effects
Right click an effect and edit away. Only things you need to know is that to assign a parameter node to a parameter, it must be done through one of the blue nodes (operator nodes) for the effect to work. If you assign to a creator node directly, it will not work. I put a sound trigger on hue and the parameter on duration.
Anyway hope this helps move you along or gives you some things to experiment with.
Here is a quick snap of a my doubled up beam zone. I’ve just layers these two on top of main beam zone. You can stack a few more on top of these if you really want to go bonkers. Chasing the secondary beam zones yield some pretty fantastic random-ish chases imho
Here’s an excerpt from the manual about editing effects :
Editing effects
Right click on any effect, and click the EDIT EFFECT button to open the effect editor. Notice that this editor is identical the clip editor!
Edit your effect in the same way that you would edit any clip. See The Clip Editor.
You need to have at least one creator node; this can be anything (line, circle, shape, even text!), but you should probably choose something that makes the most sense in the effect button preview.
When effects are applied, all creator nodes in the effect are substituted with the output of the currently running clips.
Nuts I had no idea you could do that! Been making plenty of my own clips but never touched the effects. I don’t see chase mode in here like I would in clip editor though. I was hoping I could use a fader on the APC to introduce a chase to any clip activated.