I feel like there is a tiny disconnect between group colors and APC led colours. Red in Liberation is Magenta ApC. Violet is blue, etc. Is there any way to color match these a little more accurately?
Edit: Controversial request : Change group colors to R O Y G B. It would give them an easier to remember underlying order.
That is a totally fair observation, and you are not imagining it
There is a small disconnect, and it comes down to the fact that I am working with a very limited colour palette on the APC40. The LEDs on the APC are not full RGB values - they are fixed colours, so they simply cannot reproduce the same colours you see on screen. Red ending up as magenta, violet reading as blue, etc., is basically the controller showing its limits. Also bear in mind that different screens / computers will also represent on screen colours differently.
I could technically copy the Akai LED colours and more closely match the on-screen group colours exactly to those, but I made the opposite choice. I tuned the group colours to look good and clearly distinct on a screen first, then matched the APC LEDs as closely as I could within its constraints. So it is a bit of a compromise in both directions, if you see what I mean
On the “controversial request”
The group colours were also a deliberate stylistic and artistic choice. I wanted Liberation to have its own personality and a tasteful, coherent colour scheme, rather than something purely functional like a strict ROYGB order. The group colours are a big part of making Liberation immediately recognisable at a glance.
It is something I could possibly allow customisation of in the future, but for now I am quite happy with where it is. Having a strong, consistent visual identity matters to me, and this colour scheme plays a big role in that.
Thanks for the thoughtful feedback - it is exactly the kind of detail that is worth discussing and refining.