Weird laser draw behavior

Hi,

By creating another clip i found some weird behavior in laser clip rendering on lasers only.

It is a simple clip where lines are jumping each other.

Lines are the same dimensions and jumping each other by the same space.

When one line jump over the other one, then it looks like sorting doesn’t know what to do for a while and space between lines can be seen (not between all of them, only on few parts) and laser flickering on the corners on line segments is visible …after a while the lines merge together and become stable without any gaps in between and no flicker. All looks as it suppose to be looking from beginning.

This repeat it self after each jump of the lines and could not be seen in 3d preview.

This is noticeable on each version of liberation .

Attached is video and clip it self.

Thanks for you work.

Robert.

lines_jump.cpdk (16.7 KB)

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the report. I don’t really understand exactly what you’re describing, but here’s some information that may help :sweat_smile:

When lines are contiguous, Liberation can render them continuously without inserting blank movements between them. When the lines are separated, blank movements have to be inserted to move the scanners from one line to the next.

If you’re seeing “tails” or flickering around the ends of the lines during those blank movements, you’ll probably need to adjust your scanner sync setting (sometimes known as blank shift).

I’d suggest starting with the default scanner settings, which are quite conservative, and also trying a slower scanner speed to see if that improves it.

From your description, though, I expect the scanner sync setting is the most likely cause. Or it may just be the extra work the scanners have to do when the lines get split up and sorted.

Seb

Hi,

I already tried this and according the results I know that laser is drawing lines are draw the same direction when they are on the same line height . But when they split in height then one color is draw from left to right and the second color line the opposite direction. The problem starts when they move back to the same height. Then the draw order is changing draw direction for a while (2 seconds) for each color. There comes the flickering.

Then after a while they start to draw both the same way.

This could be fixed relatively by the adjusting of the scanner sync, but then the problem come back different way in the other clips draw in different patterns.

Maybe there is some time buffer in your algorithm which decide how to apply draw order and when. But this buffer seems to be to big, so basically it’s possible to fix it also by turning off optimise shape draw order, but other clips starts to flicker.

I know it’s complicated..

Maybe I just erase this clip and knowing so I try to avoid it in the future.

Take it more like a info for the further optimization.

Robert.

And also this problems only happen when the lines are not separated ..this happen only right after they become merged into one shape.

Thanks

What we’re talking about here is Liberation’s path optimisation system. It’s an extremely complex problem to solve, and the algorithm has been improved and worked on for over ten years! But there will always be edge cases, so I’ll investigate this one and see if there’s room for improvement.

That said, I’ve got this clip looking super smooth here just using the default settings, so I’m not sure why you’re seeing such a noticeable problem. Even when the draw direction switches, I can’t see any visible flickering on my setup.

Just to be clear - scanner sync shouldn’t need to be adjusted for individual clips. It’s a calibration between Liberation’s colour output and the physical response of your scanners, so once it’s set correctly for a particular laser, it should be right for everything.

So there may be two separate things going on here - an edge case in the path optimisation that I can investigate, and a scanner sync issue that’s making the change in direction much more visible on your laser than it is on mine.

All the best

Seb

Hi,

Maybe i found the problem more specific a module where this happen.

First i one more time check the scanner sync with your tool librera lab and 30k test pattern .

All is set fine and i find correct values. And they are set … for one scanner type it is 1.2 for second type it is 1.8.

all is draw in your app like in reference image (also for 40k).

other ways i`m running default settings in liberation.

The clip itself is always running smooth . But the lines are overlapping on the edges for short period of time even they have to be perfect aligned in x axe.

So after that i search more and i found that problems occur when in custom oscillator (which is affecting x axe) i set level to linear or any ease type , then this happen . when is set to none (nice transition in movement is gone) then the problem disappear.

Maybe some kind of math rounding in custom oscillator? (still all is ok in preview on computer) i`m not sure.

Still thank you for your time ..

Testing the canvas output … and maybe have some questions too :wink: …

Thanks

Robert.

After some tweaking stuff around I found, that it was in laser setup in liberation.

I made my own config and the weird effect is noticable less pronounced .

Still exists thought.

I just ordered two more lasers from opt so I will see if the problem will be the same.

Thank you.

Robert