How to assign Helios DAC to a laser

Hi there! This is only my second post. I just installed Liberation and I’m having trouble getting any laser output. I’ve got output through another laser program so the hardware is working. I’m running on a Macbook M1 with a Helios USB DAC to a Unity RAW 3 DMX+ILDA. I do not have a controller. I primarily trigger everything via midi footswitch while playing guitar. Should I be able to see clips without a controller hooked up? Thanks for any suggestions!

Rick

Hi Rick! Welcome!

What other software were you using? Was it using the Helios USB DAC as well? Also, did you make sure to quit the other application before starting Liberation? Only one application can use the Helios at a time.

I’d recommend following these sections of the user guide carefully:

You don’t need a controller connected to get laser output, so let’s get the basics working first.

Report back with where you get stuck, or if you can, post a screenshot of your Laser Assignment panel and we’ll get you up and running.

All the best,

Seb

Hi Seb!

I’m currently using Modulaser with success and it was not open when I tried Liberation. I’ll check out those links and report back.

Thanks!

Rick

Figured it out! I didn’t have it assigned to the Helios. I didn’t know those were called controllers. Thanks!

Rick

Glad you got it sorted Rick!

I’d avoided the term “DAC” intentionally, so sorry if that caused the confusion!

I tend to call them “laser controllers” for two reasons. Firstly, it’s a bit less jargon-heavy for people who are new to lasers. Secondly, it’s a little more future-proof, because we’re already starting to see laser controllers that don’t actually contain a DAC at all - they just convert the incoming data into the digital protocol used internally by the laser.

(For a similar reason, I tend not to call lasers “laser projectors”. These days that term is often associated with conventional video projectors that happen to use a laser light source, which can be confusing for newcomers. Instead I just call them “lasers”. It’s perhaps a little less specific, but since almost everyone using Liberation is working with galvo-scanned laser systems, I think it’s a reasonable compromise.)

I completely understand that if you’re coming from a laser background, avoiding the traditional terminology can be a bit disorientating at first - sorry about that! I hope the reasoning behind it makes sense.

Have fun with Liberation, and if you run into anything else just shout. I’d also be really interested to hear how you get on using it live!

All the best
Seb

Hi Seb!

I’ll be performing with Liberation for the first time this weekend along with my crazy midi pedalboard setup. It should be pretty awesome as long as it goes as well as my practice runs have. Just wish I had more lasers. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Rick